Many of the links below have been mentioned in (email) discussions so far, for reference or inspiration. They won’t necessarily give you quick answers though!
Please do let us know if any of these links are no longer working. (Links with a line through have been detected automatically as having problems when scanned – they MAY have been fixed since.)
Transition Malvern Hills resources
A slide show style summary of where Transition Malvern Hills has got to, at June 2012. A fairly large pdf document (3.4MB).
Transition Town links
- Transition Towns Wiki. Has list of Transition Initiatives which have got off the ground plus other information (under Transition Network).
- Transition Culture. Where the concepts (as set out in Transition Handbook) are explored.
- Transition Frome A similar size town to Malvern (also see Local Links page)
- WWF’s One Planet Future report (934KB pdf) (or download from this site: one planet future).
- WWF’s 2008 Living Planet Report – WWF news item with link to download.
- Selling Sustainability from NESTA (National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Art).
- Warm Words: How are we telling the climate story and can we tell it better? From ippr (Institute for Public Policy Research).
- The Psychology of Climate Change Communication from Center for Research on Environmental Decisions.
Mainly in Flash format – some are downloadable.
- The Story of Stuff A 20-minute, fast-paced, fact-filled look at the underside of our production and consumption patterns.
- Miniature Earth
- Zero Carbon Britain – video on Vimeo.
- Our Footprint Our Journey on green.tv – Ashton Hayes, a small village in Northwest England, is aiming to become carbon neutral.
- Al Gore launches a challenge (July 08) to go 100% renewable on US electricity generation in 10 years – 5 minute summary or 30 minute full, on YouTube. Or go to his WeCanSolveIt.Org site.
- Buy the DVD: The Power of Community – how Cuba survived peak oil.
- Petro Apocalypse Now? A film from a UK crew – “Over the last four years we have travelled around the world and talked to hundreds
of people to try and find out why the price of oil is going up and up.”
- Low Carbon Community Network conference site has a good ‘blogroll’ (list of blogs and other community websites).
- Future Scenarios, from David Holmgren, originator of permaculture concept. “A long essay broken into micro-chapters” on the cultural implications of peak oil and climate change. Fiona says “I actually read the whole site, and I can recommend others to do the same.”
Suggested by Transition Handbook
The Transition Handbook by Rob Hopkins has a wealth of references. Here are a few with web links.
- Real Oil Crisis from Australian Broadcasting Corp.
- Our Oil Addiction, WCCO-TV.
- Global Public Media ‘public service broadcasting for a post carbon world’.
- Crude – the incredible journey of oil from ABC Science (may take a while to load).
- A Crude Awakening – The Oil Crash “does for peak oil what AN Inconvenient Truth does for climate change”.
- An Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore’s noted film on climate change.
- What a Way to Go: Life at the End of Empire. “A middle class white guy comes to grips with Peak Oil, Climate Change, Mass Extinction, Population Overshoot and the demise of the American Lifestyle.”
- The End of Suburbia.
- Peak Oil: Imposed by Nature.
- The Oil Drum Analysing and discussing the European energy gap and peak oil.
- PowerSwitch “one of the best UK peak oil websites”. Has helpful selection of DVDs and books to buy, discussion forum and news. Also a downloadable guide to creating a Personal Energy Descent Plan (pdf, 32KB).
- City Repair an “organized group action” that educates and inspires communities and individuals to creatively transform the places where they live.
Books mentioned on this page and the DVDs may well be available from Green Shopping Catalogue, and no doubt other places such as Amazon.
- Peak Everything: Waking up to the Century of Declines, Richard Heinberg.
- Green New Deal (launched July 2008) on New Economics Foundation site.
- the nef triple crunch blog – new economics solutions for the interlinked credit, climate and energy crises
- ClimateSpace is a NEF project – “a meeting place for groups, activists and individuals taking action on climate change.” Spot the pictures and info from various activity in Ledbury!
- Oil Depletion Analysis Centre is a UK educational charity with an international perspective. Weekly newsletter rounds up energy news.
- Preparing for Peak Oil: local authorities and the energy crisis A 2.58MB pdf co-produced by ODAC (Aug 08).
- Depletion Scotland.
- Association for the study of Peak Oil and Gas.
- Energy Watch Group.
- 350 About the need to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to 350 parts per million.
- Heat: How We Can Stop the Planet Burning (Paperback) by George Monbiot.
- Nottingham declaration – “a wealth of information for local authorities that are acting on climate change”.