40% of UK carbon emissions come from households. Get active - 10 things you can do now that will make a difference.
- Make sure lights are switched off and doors are closed in rooms that are not being used.
- Put on an extra jumper and turn your heating thermostat down by 2 degrees.
- Have a ‘no car day’ once a week.
- Talk about climate change with family, friends and work colleagues. Share your thoughts and ideas.
- Create a wildlife friendly garden, encourage bees, birds and other wildlife. Don’t use pesticides or herbicides, look for eco friendly alternatives.
- Support local wildlife trusts/groups.
- Think twice before buying clothes or goods - do you really need them? Malvern Repair Cafe can repair most things for a donation.
- Reduce, reuse and recycle everything where possible. Request non plastic packaging on your online purchases. Malvern and Worcester have a shop to refill your household cleaners, soaps and dried foods, bring your own containers.
- Buy local foods wherever possible. We are lucky to have Greenlink in Great Malvern and Natural Choice in Barnards Green that sell local produce. Cut down on your meat eating.
- Be positive, you can make a difference.
The Centre for Alternative Technology(CAT) has release a new Zero Carbon Report. This major 200 page report shows how Britain become carbon neutral. A modern, zero-emissions society is possible using technology available today.
For the full report and lost more information and resources see CAT's own website.
I would urge all of you to read this report.
The risk of climate breakdown is real, but it can be reduced if we protect, restore and fund natural climate solutions.
On 14th October 2019 at 8pm Transition Malvern Hills will be having an event at the Cube.
The event will look at what you as an individual can do about the climate emergency.
Malvern Hills District Council (MHDC) will consider a motion to declare a climate emergency on 23th July.
The meeting will take place at the Worcestershire County Council chambers due to renovation on the local MHDC chambers.
Please come along to support this motion.
You can join us at the WCC chambers at 7:00pm, or you can take the 5:09pm train with us from Great Malvern to Worcester Foregate Street, where XR will hold a march through Worcester city centre to the WCC offices on Spetchley Road, Worcester WR5 2NP. It is about a 2 mile walk. Bring banners.
Support this action outside County Hall from 8.30 a.m – 10.30 a.m. on Thursday 16th May for good humoured, peaceful but attention grabbing demonstrations. Banners, Placards, Fancy dress, Samba bands, aerial photos taken by drones,
Our Gaz light expert Brain Harper gets he name on the cover of the latest WR magazine
See page 68 for the article "Where there's Muck there's Gas"
On 11th February we are holding a film night at Malvern Cube, starting at 7:45pm.
The main feature will be "What now? Next steps on climate change" A lecture by Christiana Figueres. Christiana Figueres is a Costa Rican citizen and was the Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change from 2010-2016.
The supporting feature will be the classic "the Story Of Stuff"
All Welcome, entry is free but donations will be welcome
Links to the films we intended to show