40% of UK carbon emissions come from households. Get active - 10 things you can do now that will make a difference.
- Make sure lights are switched off and doors are closed in rooms that are not being used.
- Put on an extra jumper and turn your heating thermostat down by 2 degrees.
- Have a ‘no car day’ once a week.
- Talk about climate change with family, friends and work colleagues. Share your thoughts and ideas.
- Create a wildlife friendly garden, encourage bees, birds and other wildlife. Don’t use pesticides or herbicides, look for eco friendly alternatives.
- Support local wildlife trusts/groups.
- Think twice before buying clothes or goods - do you really need them? Malvern Repair Cafe can repair most things for a donation.
- Reduce, reuse and recycle everything where possible. Request non plastic packaging on your online purchases. Malvern and Worcester have a shop to refill your household cleaners, soaps and dried foods, bring your own containers.
- Buy local foods wherever possible. We are lucky to have Greenlink in Great Malvern and Natural Choice in Barnards Green that sell local produce. Cut down on your meat eating.
- Be positive, you can make a difference.
Our Friends at Greenlink have open a new Shop GL2. This shop allows you to refill your wholefoods, toiletries and household cleaning products.
It is at 14 Cowleigh Road, Malvern, WR14 1QD. Select here for a map.
Their Current opening hours are:
- Tuesday 10 till 7pm
- Thursday 10 till 5pm
- Saturday 10 till 4 pm
Transition Malvern Hills (TMHills) continues to promote and support sustainable projects and initiatives in Malvern and the surrounding area. We are organising regular meet ups, (under the title of TMHills Eco-Chat, Thoughts and Action), for individuals and groups to discuss how Malvern is making the positive changes needed to reduce our environmental impact. There will be monthly meetings normally at Greenlink for all that wish to participate in these friendly discussions.
Below is the chats we have currently planned. To keep upto date sign up for our mailing list here.
The next echo chat has not yet been planned
Malvern Hills District Council (MHDC) will consider a motion to declare a climate emergency on 23th July.
The meeting will take place at the Worcestershire County Council chambers due to renovation on the local MHDC chambers.
Please come along to support this motion.
You can join us at the WCC chambers at 7:00pm, or you can take the 5:09pm train with us from Great Malvern to Worcester Foregate Street, where XR will hold a march through Worcester city centre to the WCC offices on Spetchley Road, Worcester WR5 2NP. It is about a 2 mile walk. Bring banners.
Transition Malvern Hills be having a stall at the Hellens Garden Festival
Malvern's 2019 and 8th annual Seed and plant swap / sale takes place on Sat 6 April 10am – 3pm at Lyttleton Rooms, Church Street
- You can swap plants and seeds or give a donation
- Serving home-made savoury and sweet snacks and fairtrade drinks
- Refurbished tools for sale
- Tool / knife sharpening 12-3pm
Broken or unneeded hand and power tools and sewing machines
Proceeds for Tools for Self Reliance
For more information please contact us
Transition Malvern Hills has one of the windows in the Malvern Tourist Information Centre for six weeks.
Until Christmas the display is zero plastic Christmas. After Christmas it will be changing to a Zero Carbon Britain and Climate breakdown display.