These are useful resources for reference or inspiration. They won’t necessarily give you quick answers though!
Please do let us know if any of these links are no longer working. (Links with a line through have been detected automatically as having problems when scanned .)
Transition Malvern Hills resources
A slide show style summary of where Transition Malvern Hills has got to, at June 2012. A fairly large pdf document (3.4MB).
For more details in specific areas also have a look at the individual working groups.
Transition Town links
- The main website of the movement is transitionnetwork.org. This is full of useful information.
- Transition Towns Wiki. Has list of Transition Initiatives which have got off the ground plus other information (under Transition Network).
- Transition Culture. Where the concepts (as set out in Transition Handbook) are explored.
- Transition Frome A similar size town to Malvern (also see Local Links page)
- WWF’s 2008 Living Planet Report – WWF news item with link to download.
- Selling Sustainability from NESTA (National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Art).
- The Psychology of Climate Change Communication from Center for Research on Environmental Decisions.
Mainly in Flash format – some are downloadable.
- The Story of Stuff A 20-minute, fast-paced, fact-filled look at the underside of our production and consumption patterns.
- Zero Carbon Britain – video on Vimeo.
- Our Footprint Our Journey on green.tv – Ashton Hayes, a small village in Northwest England, is aiming to become carbon neutral.
- Al Gore launches a challenge (July 08) to go 100% renewable on US electricity generation in 10 years – 5 minute summary or 30 minute full, on YouTube. Or go to his WeCanSolveIt.Org site.
- Future Scenarios, from David Holmgren, originator of permaculture concept. “A long essay broken into micro-chapters” on the cultural implications of peak oil and climate change. Fiona says “I actually read the whole site, and I can recommend others to do the same.”
Suggested by Transition Handbook
The Transition Handbook by Rob Hopkins has a wealth of references. Here are a few with web links.
- Real Oil Crisis from Australian Broadcasting Corp.
- Crude – the incredible journey of oil from ABC Science (may take a while to load).
- A Crude Awakening – The Oil Crash “does for peak oil what AN Inconvenient Truth does for climate change”.
- An Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore’s noted film on climate change.
- What a Way to Go: Life at the End of Empire. “A middle class white guy comes to grips with Peak Oil, Climate Change, Mass Extinction, Population Overshoot and the demise of the American Lifestyle.”
- The End of Suburbia.
- Peak Oil: Imposed by Nature.
- the nef triple crunch blog – new economics solutions for the interlinked credit, climate and energy crises
- ClimateSpace is a NEF project – “a meeting place for groups, activists and individuals taking action on climate change.” Spot the pictures and info from various activity in Ledbury!
- 350 About the need to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to 350 parts per million.
- Heat: How We Can Stop the Planet Burning (Paperback) by George Monbiot.
- Nottingham declaration – “a wealth of information for local authorities that are acting on climate change”.